At the beginning of the sixteenth century, on the peninsula of Prirovo, the Conventual Franciscans built a monastery and a church of St. Jerome.The monastery was built on the foundations of an ancient Roman theater
Marble and stone blocks of the theater were used in the construction of the monastery and church. Even today, stand out the marble blocks built into the façade of the church. The most famous is the one at the entrance to the monastery courtyard, which with its text indicates its age, “CIL” (149).
The church is of a Renaissance form but has the features of other styles. In the 16th century it had an altar with a wooden crucifix, which in the 17th century was replaced by a marble, with two pillars. In the 18th century was built the present main altar dedicated to St. Jerome. The organs and the choir date from the 19th century.
The bell tower is away from the church, built in an elevated position to make it more prominent on the peninsula and throughout the bay. Its bells were consecrated in 1734. The bell tower belongs to the Baroque style, although at first glance, it looks Romanesque. On the second floor, there are small four-leafed, cross-shaped windows, like of the bell towers from the 18th century.
In the sacristy there is a statue of Our Lady, made in Rococo style, and a chalice, as well as the Renaissance relief with the coat of arms of the famous Gariboldi family. The church of St. Jerome, with the church of St. Nicholas in Komiža, and the shrine of Vela Gospa in Podselje, is adorned with one of the most beautiful gardens and surrounding areas on the island of Vis.
Location: From the port of Vis, you can get to the church of St. Jerome in 7-8 minutes, easy walking.